Dneprovsky Magnesium Plant (DMP) (now ZTMC Ltd.) was put into operation on December 23, 1935. In April 1939 for high achievements in manufacturing Dneprovsky Magnesium Plant was decorated with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour.
In time of the World War II the Plant was evacuated to the Ural. In 1954 a decision to construct a titanium sponge producing plant in Zaporozhye was made.
On June 29, 1956 the plant was put into service and the country received its first domestic industrial titanium.
On February 20, 1960 the electrolysis workshop was commissioned and the first batch of domestic postwar magnesium was received. The manufacture of germanium products was developed in 1958, the manufacture of semiconductor silicon – in March 1964. In 1968 a trichlorosilane production was started.
In April 1970 by the decision of the Ministry of Nonferrous Metallurgy of the USSR Severodonetsky Chemical and Metallurgical Plant was incorporated into the Plant, therefore Dneprovsky Magnesium Plant achieved the status of combine.
For a successful performance of titanium and magnesium manufacture tasks, improvement of technological processes, and development of new kinds of products the Combine was decorated with the Order of Lenin on January 4, 1971.
On December 16, 1985 by the decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR for high achievements in titanium, magnesium, and semiconductor industries, successful performance of the targets of the eleventh five-year plan the Combine was decorated with the Order of the October Revolution. This Order became the third one on the Banner of the Combine.
On December 23, 1993 for the reason of approached conversion processes, which entailed a sharp recession of demand for the product, and owing to the noncompetitiveness of the product a hard decision to stop the titanium and magnesium production was made.
In compliance with the State Programme “Titanium of Ukraine” a complex of repair-and-renewal operations was implemented at ZTMC and starting from October 1998 production of saleable material was resumed.
In December 1999 the Combine was reorganized into a regulated enterprise. In 2000 for high achievements in development of metallurgy industry of Ukraine, resumption of titanium sponge production and for strengthening of international cooperation in this field by the decision of the Presidium of the International Personnel Academy the Enterprise was decorated with the Order of Honour. Modernization and technical re-equipment of production, improvement of technology, enhancement of product quality, intensification of titanium sponge production, and increase of production of its higher grades are constantly carried out at the Combine for the purpose of increasing the production effectiveness.
On December 29, 2008 hot tests of an electron-beam unit were successfully carried out and the first titanium ingot was obtained.
On January 4, 2011 by the order of the Ministry of Industrial Policy of Ukraine the Regulated Enterprise ZTMC was reorganized into a state enterprise. Zaporozhye Titanium & Magnesium Combine is the only enterprise in Ukraine and Europe that produces titanium sponge – the metal of the 21st century, the metal of high technology.
ZTMC is a high-performance and high-technology combine of strategic importance for the state economics and security. Complex innovation projects are implemented at the Combine owing to the united highly skilled professional stuff aspiring to implement the most ambitious goals.